Military Order of the Stars and Bars (MOSB) was born in
South Carolina on August 30, 1938. The 48th Annual Reunion
of the United Confederate Veterans and the 43rd Annual
Convention of the Sons of Confederate Veterans met at the
Columbia Hotel in Columbia, South Carolina August 30 through
September 2, 1938. On August 30, 1938 an organizational
meeting was held at 3:00 PM and the Order of the Stars and
Bars, as it was known then, was created. The initial
membership was composed of 17 former commissioned officers
of the Confederate States military and 47 male descendants
of Confederate officers. Two South Carolinians, both
descendants of Confederate officers, were among the original
members of the MOSB. These were Dr. Baylis H. Earle of
Greenville and James d’Alvigny McCollough of Honea Path.
name of the organization was changed to the Military Order
of the Stars and Bars at the annual convention in Memphis,
Tennessee effective August 15, 1976. As there are no former
Confederate officers still living, membership in the MOSB is
restricted to male descendants of Confederate officers and
elected officials. The survival of the MOSB is due in large
part to the late General William D. McCain of Mississippi.
He served as Adjutant General of the MOSB from 1954 to 1993.
He also served as Adjutant in Chief of the Sons of
Confederate Veterans from 1953 to 1993.
modern history South Carolina Society of the Military Order
of the Stars and Bars began on October 1, 1984 when the
General Maxcy Gregg Chapter was chartered. The charter
members were W. C. Smith, III, David Cooper, Ed Crosby, Dr.
Jean LaBorde, Jr. Wesly Drawdy, George Martin, and Henry
Durant. This was the only MOSB chapter in South Carolina at
that time. It was closely related to the General Wade
Hampton Camp, No. 273, Sons of Confederate Veterans and
shared the same adjutant for several years.
of July 1, 1999 the South Carolina Society of the MOSB now
has four active chapters with a total of 57 members. The
Society officers for 1998-2000 are Wayne D. Roberts,
Commander; William E. DuBose, Jr., Lieutenant Commander; P.
Ronald Hamilton, Adjutant; and Michael G. Kelly,
Genealogist. The General Maxcy Gregg Chapter, chartered in
Columbia in 1984, has 25 members. Officers for the General
Maxcy Gregg Chapter are R. Brett Bradshaw, Commander;
Harrison Gasque, Lieutenant Commander; Roger O. Harley,
Adjutant. The Battle of Dingles Mill Chapter was chartered
in Sumter December 23, 1987 and has five members. Officers
of the Battle of Dingles Mill Chapter are William E. DuBose,
Commander; Benjamin P. McNeese, Jr., Lieutenant Commander;
and John A. DuBose, Adjutant. The Major M. C. Butler Chapter
chartered in Belvedere June 30, 1997, has nine members.
Officers of the Major General M. C. Butler Chapter are R.
Jason Goings, Commander and Perry Craig Morris, Adjutant.
The Colonel James McCollough Chapter, chartered in
Greenville June 30, 1997, has 18 members. Colonel James
McCollough Chapter officers are Joseph L. Montgomery,
Commander; Tom Tucker, Lieutenant Commander; and Kenneth
Derrell Morgan, Adjutant.
South Carolina Society of the Military Order of the Stars
and Bars has been very active with projects over the past
several years. In 1993 the Society undertook a series of
weekend cleanup expeditions to restore the historic Capers-Guerry
cemetery in Sumter. This cemetery was severely damaged by
Hurricane Hugo. There has been continuing involvement of the
Society in the defense of the Confederate flag atop the
South Carolina State House. In 1994 The Society donated
$2,000 received from National Headquarters for the defense
of the flag. In 1995 a new monument was dedicated to
Confederate Medal of Honor recipient Lieutenant Alexander
McQueen. The Society contributed $500 to this project. Also
in 1995, the Society donated copies of The Roll of the Dead
to several public libraries across South Carolina.
1996 The South Carolina Society of the MOSB began holding
its annual Lee-Jackson banquet in January. This has become a
special time for members, wives, and guests to gather and
share mementos and stories of their ancestors and
Confederate soldiers. The January 2001 Lee-Jackson banquet
is scheduled at Oakley Park in Edgefield. This was the home
of Confederate Brigadier General Martin Witherspoon Gary.
1997 the South Carolina Society of the MOSB began annual
battlefield tours. These tours have been led by Wayne D.
Roberts, Society Commander 1993-1994 and 1998-2000. The
first tour was at the Battle of Congaree Creek in Lexington
County. In 1998 the tour focused on the Atlanta campaign
with stops at the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain, the Battle of
Kolbs Farm, Marietta, and Kennesaw (Big Shanty during the
Great Locomotive Chase). The 1999 tour focused on the
campaign for the Charleston and Savannah Railroad with
visits to battlefields, earthworks, and sites including the
Battle of Pocotaligo, the Battle of Tullifinny Crossroads,
the Battle of Coosawhatchie, the Battle of Honey Hill,
Stoney Creek Battery, Tomotley Battery, Bees Creek Battery,
Pocotaligo Battery, Gardens Corner, Stoney Creek cemetery,
Old Sheldon Church, and the Church. of the Holy Trinity in
old Grahamville. The 2000 tour focused on Sherman’s march
through South Carolina. Battlefields visited included Rivers
Bridge, Broxton’s Bridge, and Congaree Creek.
an outgrowth of these battlefield tours, the Society has
implemented a plan to place historical markers on South
Carolina battlefields. The first historical marker will be
on the battlefield at Pocotaligo and should be erected
during the year 2000. Other historical markers have been
discussed for the battlefields at Tullifinny Crossroads and